February 28, 2013

Orzo & Broccoli Pesto Salad


February. One month closer to spring, yet still so far away.



We received quite a bit of snow this month, more than I can remember in a long time. I was (briefly) stuck in a parking lot with others in the same situation as we collectively dug our way out. The beauty of the situation was that everyone was willing to help each other out.

Sometimes we forget to be kind to each other until we're facing tough circumstances.


Chinese New Year also happened. Lots of symbolic food was consumed and my mom and I made turnip/radish cake together.


I've been eating a lot of roasted vegetables lately: this or a sweet potato version, roasted cauliflower tossed with pasta. Winter-y weather makes me lazy and gravitate towards simple, one pot meals. (A food processor or roasting pan doesn't count, right?)



A meal ready in less than an hour? Yes, please.

Orzo & Broccoli Pesto Salad
Slighted adapted from Sprouted Kitchen

This is also great warmed up the next day.

1 cup orzo
5 cups raw broccoli, cut into small florets
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
2/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
1/4 teaspoon salt + more for salting the water
Grated zest and juice of one lemon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Bring about a cup of water to a boil in a large pot with a pinch of salt. Stir in the broccoli, put the lid on and cook for one to two minutes, just long enough to take the edge off. Drain the broccoli and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well.

Using the same pot, boil more water and salt generously. Add the orzo and cook according to package instructions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.

To make the pesto, combine 2 cups of the cooked broccoli, the garlic, most of the nuts, parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and pulse in a food processor. Drizzle in the olive oil and pulse until smooth. Taste and add more lemon juice or salt to your liking.

Toss the orzo, remaining cooked broccoli florets, pesto and lemon zest together. Top with the remaining nuts and a bit of extra parmesan.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm... pesto.  I love the different ways you can make pesto... I discovered, in a quite embarrassing incident, how much pine nuts cost.  The cashier recognized the shock on my face.  But I love pine nuts... I do substitute for other nut-type, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make pesto out of everything - it's easy and tasty!  Pine nuts are expensive so I interchange them with walnuts and almonds.  I buy them at Costco so it's significantly cheaper than if I were to buy them elsewhere. 

    ReplyDelete