January 27, 2020

Vinegar Coleslaw

vinegar coleslaw

The humble cabbage.

A vegetable that can do so much and yet is often overlooked. If Eater is right, cabbage will have its moment this year.

the humble cabbage

I love a good coleslaw - hold the mayonnaise, please. I'm not a fan of mayo and would prefer it kept out of my food, with the exception of sandwiches.

cabbage layers

This recipe is easily adaptable: the original calls for cucumber and dill and since I usually have neither on hand, I omit them. Sometimes I will shred a carrot or two to toss with the cabbage. I don't have white wine vinegar in my pantry so I do a mix of whatever vinegars I have lying around (I find white is too strong on its own). 

winter salad

Craving a salad in the winter but all the leafy greens look wilted? Let cabbage come to your rescue with this coleslaw.

Vinegar Coleslaw
Adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

1 medium head green cabbage (about 2 pounds or 900 grams), cored and thinly sliced or shredded
1/2 cup (120 ml) white wine vinegar (or a mix of white, rice and/or apple cider vinegar)
2 tablespoons kosher salt or 4 teaspoons fine sea salt
4 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup (120 ml) cold water

Whisk the vinegar, salt and sugar together in a small bowl until the salt and sugar dissolve. Stir in the water.

Pour the liquid over the cabbage in a large bowl and let it marinate, tossing the cabbage occasionally. After 1 hour, it should be a bit wilted and crunchy; at 2 hours, the flavour is even better.

The salad keeps, covered, in the fridge for a week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment