June 27, 2018

Indian Rice Pudding (Kheer/Payasam)

indian rice pudding

I'm a latecomer to rice pudding but have been making up for lost time. Real talk: I have purchased Costco-amounts of Kozy Shack rice pudding for myself (and only myself) to consume. I like to stir in some cinnamon and cardamon before digging in.

kheer / payasam

I think my favourite iteration of rice pudding is Indian, also known as kheer or payasam. I love the flavour combination of cardamon and rosewater, which brings rice pudding to a whole new level. This recipe is easy peasy - there's no tempering of eggs and only requires the reduction of milk cooked with the rice to make the pudding thick and creamy. I've decreased the sugar from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup and think it's plenty sweet.

Indian Rice Pudding (Kheer/Payasam)
Slightly adapted from The Food Network

1/2 cup basmati or jasmine rice
6 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon rosewater, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons minced unsalted pistachios or almonds, plus extra for garnish

In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, bring the rice, milk and cardamom to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a heat-safe spoon to help keep the milk from burning.

Reduce the heat so that the milk is gently simmering and cook for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring often. The rice should be tender and the milk will have reduced by half, giving a porridge-like consistency.

Add the sugar, rosewater or vanilla, and pistachios. Stir and turn off the heat. Serve either warm or chilled, garnished with extra pistachios.

0 comments:

Post a Comment