November 30, 2013

Parmesan Roasted Acorn Squash

Another week/month/year has gone by. Where does the time go?


I've been feeling contemplative about what the heck I'm doing with my life, something I seem to be doing on a yearly basis. What career path do I want to take? How can I go about achieving this?


It's not that I don't have any ideas as to what I want to do with my life; I don't know if you've heard but there's a financial crisis going on. Apparently people of my generation are having trouble finding jobs. (Thanks for the constant reminder of how badly we have it, media.)


I then remind myself that I have it better than others - a roof over the top of my head, clothes on my back, food to eat. While frustrating, a "woe is me" attitude is not necessary.


That's my food for thought of the moment. Onto the actual food: I debated for ages about what I wanted to do with this gorgeous acorn squash before deciding to keep it simple. You can never go wrong with roasted vegetables.

Parmesan Roasted Acorn Squash
Adapted from Real Simple

1 acorn squash - halved, seeded, and sliced 3/4 inch thick
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon demerera-style (or brown) sugar
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, toss the squash with the olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Spread over baking sheet and sprinkle with the parmesan.

Roast the squash until golden brown and tender, about 25 to 30 minutes, flipping the squash over halfway through. Turn on the broiler for the last 5 minutes to help the squash turn brown and crisp.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I love squash. What did you have the squash with - as in a meal or just a little snack?


    I know what you mean, re: career path/life's purpose. I think in high school I thought it would be just getting the education and going out to find the jobs we love. Not as simple as that. I also remind myself, I am lucky and I have a pretty good. Life will never be "perfect". Hope you discover your path and continue to do the things that you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the squash as a meal, with a salad.



    As I grow older, I realize that's it's actually rare for people to have jobs that they love. I don't think passion is the be-all-to-end-all though - a job that is enjoyable and challenging can be just as satisfying. As always, thank you for your positive comments!

    ReplyDelete