March 30, 2015

One-Pan Farro with Tomatoes

Since winter is refusing to rid us of its presence, I'm doing a throwback post to reminisce about summer.


One of my favourite things about summer is tomato season. In general, the variety of produce during the warmer months makes me happier than a kid in a candy store, but for me, tomatoes are the cream of the crop.


Picking a tomato straight off the vine, warm from the sun, and biting into it so that the juices and flavours burst in your mouth - I am salivating just thinking about it.


I rarely cook with in-season tomatoes because I think they are perfect as is. Usually I'll just toss them in a salad or eat them like a fruit, but I was intrigue by this one-pan recipe. A tasty meal with minimal effort? Count me in.


It originated from Martha Stewart using pasta, which I am skeptical about because I like my pasta barely al dente. However, this recipe exploded all over the food blogs with adaptations using different grains. I've swapped quinoa for farro and it's just as good. I've also used off-season tomatoes, so don't limit this almost effortless recipe to the summer.


One-Pan Farro with Tomatoes
Slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 cups water
1 cup farro
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
9 ounces grape or cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
Up to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
Few basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons
Grated parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)

Place water and farro in a medium saucepan to pre-soak while you prepare the other ingredients. Adding each ingredient to the pot as you finish preparing it, cut onion in half and very thinly slice it into half-moons. Thinly slice garlic cloves as well. Halve or quarter tomatoes. Add salt, pepper flakes and 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan. Bring uncovered pan up to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook the farro according to the time on the package (as it varies depending on the type of farro), or until the water has almost completely absorbed.

Transfer to a wide serving bowl. Drizzle farro lightly with additional olive oil, scatter with basil and parmesan.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I am also impatiently waiting for winter to pass. Starting tomatoes indoors this year. One of the things we are doing this summer is getting a CSA share - getting a bag of local vegetables a week. Looking forward to trying some new vegetables. Will look to your posts for inspirations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I cook frequently enough to use everything in the CSA share so I prefer visiting a farmers' market to avoid food waste. You'll have to let me know how it goes, and keep me updated on what interesting vegetables you will get!

    ReplyDelete