September 28, 2014

Peach Butter

Let's not beat around the bush: I've had this recipe bookmarked for three years, ever since it was first posted. I love apple butter (it was one of the items I requested in the care package my parents sent me when I was living in Japan), I love peaches, so what could be better than the delicate, fragrant flavour of peaches concentrated into peach butter? Nothing.


When peach season hits, I find myself eyeing this recipe, wondering if I have the time to commit to the whole process. Unfortunately, my summers tend to be hectic and I end up telling myself, "Maybe next summer."

Not this year.


I've found my canning groove this summer – if it's a long weekend, I hit a pick-your-own farm or farmers' market to get the goods I need. I prefer the former because it's less costly per quantity, though the trade-off is it requires physical exertion (which can be a good workout!) So far, I've canned strawberries, raspberries and peaches; apples is on the list for the October long weekend.


While canning isn't difficult, especially once you get the hang of it, it does require patience. There's the prepping, the reducing, the boiling, the cooling – it can take hours. This recipe was particularly frustrating because it requires you to remove the skin of the peaches. Whoever said it's an easy task is lying to you. The skin will slip right off for some peaches, but the majority will stick stubbornly to the flesh while you curse and attempt to remove the slippery buggers with a knife or fingers. I'm considering investing in a food mill for next year, or just leaving it on as per Food in Jars.


All the work is completely worth it once you taste a spoonful of the peach butter, and you will be grateful for the effort when you open a jar in the dead of winter.

I'm already dreading winter.


(I also made a peach pie because if I had to peel a large quantity of peaches, what's a couple more? Highly recommended.)

Peach Butter
From Smitten Kitchen

I'm leaving Deb's recipe as is because this is my imprecise method of preserving: fit as much fruit into the pot as possible; reduce the amount of sugar stated in the recipe (because I dislike overly sweet things); boil until it looks done.

4 pounds peaches
1 cup water
2 cups granulated sugar
Juice of one lemon

Without a food mill: Cut a small “x” in the bottom of each peach. Dip each into a pot of boiling water for 30 seconds, and then into a bowl of cold water for a minute. The peels should slide right off. (If you have a food mill, skip the peeling step.)

Halve your peaches and remove the pits, then cut each half into quarters (i.e. 8 chunks from each peach). Place peach chunks and water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Simmer until peaches are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure they cook evenly. If you have a food mill, run them through it to puree them and remove the skins. If you don't have a food mill — i.e. you already peeled your peaches — you can puree in a food processor, blender or with an immersion blender.

Return the peaches to the large pot, add the sugar and lemon juice and bring the mixture to a good strong simmer/gentle boil, cooking them at this level for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally in the beginning and more often near the end, as it thickens up and the fruit masses risk scorching on the bottom of the pot.

There are several methods to test for doneness: You can drizzle a ribbon of sauce across the surface; when that ribbon holds its shape before dissolve into the pot, it is done. Some people use cold or frozen plates; dollop a spoonful in the middle of one and if no water forms a ring around it in a couple minutes, it is done. Others use a spoon; if the butter remains rounded on a spoon for two minutes, it is done. You can also check the pot itself; the butter is usually done when a wooden spoon leaves a clear trail when scraped across the bottom.

Let peach butter cool (unless you're canning it, in which, follow the directions below). If you're not canning it, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge. It should be good for at least two weeks.

To can your peach butter: First, sterilize your jars, either by boiling them in a large, deep pot of water (which should cover the jars completely) for 10 minutes or washing them in lots of hot soapy water, rinsing and drying the parts well and then place the jars only in a 200 degree oven for 20 minutes. Then, divide your hot piping hot peach butter between your jars, leaving a little room at the top. Wipe the rims clean with a dry towel and cover the jars with their lids. Submerge the jars in a large, deep pot of boiling water for 10 minutes, either in a removable basket or using tongs to dip and remove them. Let cool completely on towels, a process that can take overnight. If canned properly, the peach butter should last indefinitely at room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. I love her peach butter. I miss summer fruits. Do you have a good recipe for canning raspberry or strawberry? Something that I would like to try next year.


    Baby and I love apples! Haha we have been getting a bushel of apples for ~$10 at the farmer's market. Maybe I should look into canning apples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I have been eating 1-3 apples a day, that's why the bushel.)

    ReplyDelete