May 31, 2014

Rome & Naples



I suffer from a condition called wanderlust. It's only been a month since my last trip and I'm already dreaming about where to visit next.



After I graduated from university, my friends and I did a jam-packed backpacking tour of Europe - nine cities in five weeks. It was a trip where I got to sample a bit of everything, vowing to return to experience certain countries in full. Italy was high on that list.



One of my biggest regrets was not going into the Colosseum and the Roman Forum, so I made sure to do that this time around. Other than that, I didn't have anything specific in mind that I wanted to do in Rome. Instead, my favourite way to explore a city is to wander aimlessly and soak in the sights and sounds.



There was a market and a bakery down the street from where I was staying, so I purchased fresh produce and bread to make meals for myself. I also passed by a tiny shop that made fresh pasta with locals lined up outside, so I knew I had to return to give it a try. Through kindness and the magic of technology (i.e. translator on smart phones), the elderly lady behind the counter was able to tell me how long to cook the pasta for and which pasta sauce I should buy.



My next stop was Naples. Many people questioned why I wanted to go back when I could visit any other Italian city, which is a very valid point, as there are still many places I want to see. Naples is a place that can be negatively perceived, but to me, it has so much character. I knew I had to return. (This article from the NYT's Frugal Traveler shared my sentiments.)


Also, the pizza. Naples is the birthplace of pizza and the hostel owner from seven years ago recommended Gino Sorbillo to us. It has been entrenched in mind ever since.


The pizzeria has picked up popularity since, as it is absurdly busy. (It is now a recommendation in the Lonely Planet.) The pizza, however, remains amazingly delicious. Hint: get there before it opens at 7pm and push your way in with the others waiting to get a table. Otherwise you'll be looking at a long wait, but the pizza comes out quick.



I also did a day trip to the island of Procida, just off the coast of Naples. It's a charming little island, perfect for a day of exploration on foot.



And of course these was food. I don't know why but whenever I travel, I grow a second stomach so I can eat anything and everything. It's like my body knows I only have a limited amount of time to be in the presence of so much wonderful food.



This includes dessert: gelato, tiramisu, pastries... the list goes on.


Alas, I have returned to real life.


Until next time, Italy.

2 comments:

  1. Holy crap! Gino's looks so busy now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so busy that they use a microphone to call out people's names (for those waiting in line)!

    ReplyDelete