October 31, 2013

Apple Sharlotka


As much as I try to deny it, I quite enjoy fall.


The air becomes crisp, the leaves explode into an array of colours, and the wardrobe changes to comfy sweaters and boots.


The annual apple picking outing came and went and as per usual, I ended up with more apples than I know what to do with. Throughout the year, I save apple recipes like nobody's business because I know once October rolls around, I will need to dip into this stash.


This cake is more custard-y than firm and is filled to brim with freshly picked apples. A cup of hot apple cider goes excellent with a slice of this.



Apple Sharlotka
Slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen

I do not own a springform pan (among many other things) so I baked this in a pie dish, which only managed to fit five apples. I used a mix of flours in an attempt to be more healthy but feel free to only use all-purpose flour.

Butter, for greasing the pan
5-6 large tart apples
3 large eggs
3/4 cup natural cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup of kamut flour
Ground cinnamon, to finish
Powdered sugar, also to finish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Butter the paper and the sides of the pan. Peel, halve and core your apples, then chop them into medium-sized chunks. Pile the cut apples directly in the prepared pan. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer or whisk, beat eggs with sugar until thick and ribbons form on the surface of the beaten eggs. Beat in vanilla, then stir in flour with a spoon until just combined. The batter will be very thick.

Pour over apples in pan, using a spoon or spatula to spread the batter and press down into the apple pile so that it covers all exposed apples. Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a tester comes out free of batter. Cool in pan for 10 minutes on rack, then flip out onto another rack, peel off the parchment paper, and flip it back onto a serving platter. Dust lightly with ground cinnamon.

Serve warm or cooled, dusted with powdered sugar.

3 comments:

  1. One of my favourites.... so simple, elegant, and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that this is so easy and delicious to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always go crazy with apple picking - definitely one of the easier pick-your-own fruits.

    ReplyDelete