May 28, 2013

Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl

There are days when I purchase an ingredient and know exactly what I want to do with it and how to put the meal together.


There are other times when I come across a recipe that beckons me, one that I need to make as soon as possible.


Then there are those days where I have no idea what to cook and I end up falling back on old standbys.

This is one of those dishes.


That does not mean it is any less delicious. There is a reason why I keep coming back to this dish: it's tasty, easy to put together and doesn't require too many ingredients.

Perhaps this will become one of your standbys too.


Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl
Slightly adapted from Sprouted Kitchen

3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 small head of broccoli, cut in florets
4 to 6 oz block of feta cheese, cut in cubes
1 cup roasted red peppers, cut in slivers
2 tablespoon capers
1 cup chickpeas, cooked
2 teaspoon dried oregano
Generous pinch of sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil

Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil and add quinoa. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Place the broccoli right on top after ten minutes and cover to finish the quinoa; the broccoli will steam on top. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.

Toss the red pepper slivers, chickpeas, capers, dried oregano, salt and pepper to the quinoa and stir. Squeeze the juice of the entire lemon (avoiding seeds) and the olive oil, stir again.

Add the feta cubes to the quinoa and give it a gentle fold. Enjoy warm, or throw it in the fridge for 30 minutes to let it cool down.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. We always plan our meals on Sunday and get most of the ingredients then - helps keep organized and we end up eating healthier (and cheaper). On Sundays I am always looking at my list of favourite recipes to piece together meals that will go well together (and use up what we buy).


    Love quinoa! And always looking for another way to have quinoa. THanks!

    ReplyDelete