November 26, 2012

Spaghetti Squash & Kale Gratin


What is this, an actual food post? It's been ages, I know.


I've been hunkering down and doing some serious cooking in the past couple of weeks. I purchased some brussels sprouts still attached to the stalk, roasted them, tossed them with quinoa and garnished the dish with pomegranate seeds. After reading this article on sweet potatoes, I immediate went out and bought some to make this.


There are certain vegetables I've always wanted to try but haven't gotten around to (rutabaga, you are still on my list) and spaghetti squash is one of them, so I picked one up when I went apple picking several weeks back. At the farmers' market, I saw a beautiful variety of kale that I haven't tried before (lacinato or black kale, though I quite like the name dinosaur), bought a soft cheese recommended to me by a vendor and bam, a meal was born.



This dish goes down warm and gooey, perfect for the chilly weather we've been experiencing.


Spaghetti Squash & Kale Gratin
Adapted from Closet Cooking

I honestly could not tell you what kind of cheese I used - I asked for something that will get melty and gooey and purchased the block of cheese that was handed to me because I love and trust the vendors at my market. The recipe originally called for 1/2 cup of sour cream, cottage cheese and parmigiano reggiano each but I suggest going to a cheese shop and they will be more than happy to give a recommendation.

1 spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise and scooped clean
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale, rinsed and cut into 1 inch thick slices
4 green onions, chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cup soft cheese, cubed
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roast the spaghetti squash halves until tender, about 1 hour. Scoop the strands out of the skin.

While the squash is cooking, heat the oil in a pan. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, then add the kale and saute until it has wilted.

Mix the squash, kale, green onions, egg, cheese, salt and pepper and pour it into a baking dish. Top with the parmigiano reggiano.

Bake in the preheated oven until it is bubbling on the sides and golden brown on top, about 30-40 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Lacinato or black kale? I haven't heard about them actually. Is this type of kale still rich in vitamin K? But yeah, I like kale a lot. I even make a smoothie out of it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanted to pin this to my cooking board on Pinterest, but this page isn't set up for that. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your food pictures!  What a great idea to use kale - I am always looking for more ways to use kale.  Thanks for sharing!  Especially love the sound of soft, gooey cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should be able to pin this on Pinterest now.  Thanks for letting me know that it wasn't working!  :) 

    ReplyDelete
  5. The original recipe called for chard but I couldn't resist swapping it out for kale instead! 

    ReplyDelete