January 31, 2012

Eating my way through Paris


Six months ago, I departed for France. Six months ago, my WWOOFing adventure began.



As great of a learning experience it was working on an organic farm, I was more than ready to head to Paris after my three weeks were over. Ready to shed my manure-splattered clothing and return to civilization. I guess I am more of a city girl than I thought I was.



And while it was absolutely wonderful eating fresh, organic food during my stay (the tomatoes tasted exactly like what a tomato should taste, so much that I almost shed a tear), I was ready to stuff my face with what the French are famous for: butter and dessert.


I ate. A lot.



I visited different chocolate shops, pastry shops and bakeries. I ate when I wasn't even hungry, just because I could.


Obviously, I had to sample as many macarons I could get my hands on.


The Pierre Hermé vs. Ladurée argument? Both are oh so very good. Pierre Hermé's caramel à la fleur de sel is to die for, but I think Laduree's macarons win with a slight edge - the crispy shell does it for me.



I also ate actual meals. I stumbled upon a neighbourhood bistro that had really, really good steak. There was a bakery right below my rental apartment that had wonderful croissants and baguettes, which I picked up in the morning for breakfast to go with some mirabelle jam, cheese and yoghurt.


Speaking of cheese, I stupidly bought some cheese at the supermarket when I went to pick up necessities after arriving in the city. Do you know what supermarket cheese tastes like after three weeks of eating some of the best cheese of my life (ones that I helped make)? Absolute rubbish. I actually gagged after putting an offensive piece in my mouth. The cheese was promptly thrown out and I seeked out a fromagerie to buy some real cheese. This platter was the result of my purchase.



My dad suggested I have a bowl of pho since there's a large Vietnamese population in Paris. To be honest, I thought it was mediocre but I've eaten a lot of pho in my life and am pretty picky about the quality. It was also expensive compared to a bowl of pho in Toronto!

I ate quite a number of duck dishes, all delicious. (They have to use the ducks somehow after making the fois gras.) I didn't get a picture of it, but at Les Papilles, I had the most amazing panna cotta of my life. (Thanks for restaurant recommendation, David Lebovitz!) I don't think any other panna cotta will ever top that experience.



Merci, Paris, for a lovely time. I'll be back in the future to stuff my face with more delicious food.

2 comments:

  1. The butter is to die for.  British butter was weird (it had this strong-ish taste to it).  While visiting Paris, we discovered what good butter is!  I also love the boulangerie!  I love the smell of freshly baked bread!

    As for cheese, it wasn't really part of my diet until university.  Before that, Kraft singles was all I knew.  (Taiwanese people don't eat cheese.  If they do, they eat Kraft singles-like cheese, which is not real cheese - it's processed cheese food.)

    Your pictures are mouth-watering!  It's a sin to be in Paris and not eat lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, French butter is SO GOOD.  I would be perfectly fine eating bread slathered with French butter and nothing else, that's how good it is.  I weep for the fact that nothing comes close to it in Canada. 

    ReplyDelete