February 12, 2010

Feb. 09: 12 of 12

When I first arrived in Japan, I took my camera with me everywhere. I remember exploring my neighbourhood and taking pictures of the houses because they were SO Japanese and my goodness, I haven't seen anything like it! Of course, the novelty wore out a month in and I was no longer taking pictures of mundane things. Fast forward six months when I realized that time seems to run 10x faster in Japan and before I knew it, I would be leaving the country. Last year on this day, in attempt to capture a day of my life in Japan, I did the 12 of 12.



A kerosene heater to warm up the teacher's room because central heating does not exist in Japan. There's usually a kettle or a bowl of water on top of it to humidify the room. (At least that's what I think it's for.)



Lesson plan of the day. The 'Hokey Pokey' was totally NOT age appropriate for 6th graders, but I went with the flow. I loved teaching at this school because the kids are always enthusiastic.



A game practicing "How are you?" You can see the boy with the cones freaking out because whoever had the cones when the music stopped had to answer my question in English.



School lunch. In all grades (even the tiny 1st graders), the kids lug the giant silver containers to their classroom, divvy up the lunch and then eat it in the classroom.



Lunch of the day: I've had better.



I'm amazed at Japanese children and their ability to ride a unicycle. I've tried and it's hard.



Skipping rope with my 6th graders. Life can be so hard sometimes.



I couldn't believe daffodils were blooming in February.



Shrine by my house.



I have a thing for coloured objects on monochrome backgrounds.



View of the sunset from my apartment.



Vending machines for your smoking/drinking needs, available 24 hours a day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment